I'm a PhD student who met an adjunct professor at the beginning of last autumn. We immediately made a connection, but there were always some kinds of deeply embedded obstacles that kept us from getting together (she was getting over an ex, new to the city, other more personal things...) We stopped talking for a few months because she just wasn't ready for a relationship... until she reached out to me again just a month ago. We immediately felt that same attraction again, but one major problem... it turns out she's moving halfway across the country from me in August because she landed a job there.
Now, academics are really landlocked into their jobs, especially those who take contractually-obligated positions. So really she's going to be a distance away from a very long time, and we'd only be able to see each other for the short breaks during the school year. I'm at least a few years more from finishing my own program. That being said, we'd be forced in a long-term, long-distance relationship without having much personal time together.
We've even kind of admitted that we love each other, which I think I genuinely do. She's so special and attractive.
Right now, she wants to keep seeing me over the summer, even though I know that it might make things much harder once we confront the fact that the distance might stay as a long term factor. My last long-term relationship was also long-distance for a year, so I know how much that sucks. I'm not really sure what to do; to either enjoy the company of someone who I find special, or to save ourselves the emotional hurt of saying goodbye at the end?
TL;DR: Fell madly for someone who is finally emotionally available to date me, but she is moving several states away in a few months. I don't want to get any more attached in case we say goodbye, but she would rather see me and enjoy the time we have together.
[link] [comments]
from Relationships https://ift.tt/2k5nrsp
No comments:
Post a Comment