Sunday, 20 May 2018

I’m (32/F) going to a bachelorette party in a few weeks and I’m feeling uncomfortable about the amount of money we are expected to spend to participate.

I’m not sure if this post belongs here but not sure where else to put it.

I was invited to a weekend long bachelorette party in the city I live in. It’s for a friend I’ve known since high school, that once lived in the city, but has since moved to another. We’ve never been especially close but run in the same circle of friends, I like her a lot and am more than happy to celebrate her upcoming wedding with her. But the costs associated with her weekend are making me uneasy.

First I agreed to stay at the AirBnB with everyone. That was a mistake on my part when I could’ve easily just gone home each night. At the time I was thinking I should just go for it since I rarely get to see her and a few of the other girls. Plus, with other parties I’ve been to, the hosts were very mindful not to ask us to spend too much. So I’m a bit taken back when right up front, the MOH asks for $250 for the weekend.

Okay fine that’s on me for not foreseeing how much it might cost. I fork up the money.

We just got another email detailing the weekend. We’re getting T-shirt’s, there’s two brunches, a steak dinner, bar hopping both nights and the big surprise “the boat.” While I realize I can manage expenses at bars by not over doing it, the MOH is holding back how much “the boat” will cost until she has more details.

I’m suddenly realizing this is easily going to be a $500+ weekend all costs combined. I’m NOT used to this kind of extravagance for a bachelorette party. My closer group of friends tend to do maybe one night out or a weekend in at a log cabin, cost of no more than $200 total. No judgment on my part, I’m just feeling uncomfortable with feeling expected, at this point, to spend so much. I’m simply not used to it and didn’t realize what I was agreeing to.

Anyone else been in this situation? Is there a point where I can safely back out? I’d obviously not ask for the $250 for the AirBnB back, but what if the MOH comes back asking for another $200 up front for boat, T-shirt’s, etc? It’s just an insane amount of money to me on one weekend.

Tl;dr: Agreed to a weekend long bachelorette party in my home city without realizing how much it might cost me.

submitted by /u/lamppostlight12
[link] [comments]

from Relationships https://ift.tt/2kaycJH

No comments:

Post a Comment