Wednesday 27 February 2019

The Joy of an Inside Joke in Relationships

The Joy of an Inside Joke in Relationships

It happens like lightning. You catch eyes from across the room or while sitting next to each other.  In an instant, you know what each are thinking. The smirk, the shift in eyes, the intrinsic moment when all of the elements align to create the inside joke. 

I love those moments. 

They are as much a part of my marriage as any obstacle or challenge my husband and I have faced. 

Relationships definitely come with their highs and lows, yet through it all my husband and I turn to each other for reassurance and love.Those aspects of a relationship do not just fling into existence.They are created over time.

While there have been occasions when we have cried together, or felt disappointment, there have also been times when we experienced laughter too.

Inside jokes are an amazing force in breaking tension

Sometimes I believe laughter is overlooked.  It is an amazing force in breaking tension, bringing relief and offering new perspectives.  The ability to weave this into a relationship, regardless of its status, requires time and patience. 

One of my favorite quotes about humor comes from Charles Dickens.  “There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” 

For me, there are not too many things sweeter than the moment my husband and I connect the past to the present in a burst of energy heard throughout our house.

Moreover, when it is absent I look forward to the next time it pops in for a visit. 

When I think about the time we have spent together, I cannot pinpoint a memory, in which laughter was not a part of our relationship.

An inside joke helps you find something to bring you joy

An inside joke helps you find something to bring you joy

We look back on our lives and think about how, as tough as an event may have been; we were able to find something to bring us joy. To help remind us of us. Although I cannot speak for my husband, that is what an inside joke means to me. 

For a brief moment, our brains seem to work in unison.  A phrase, or a wink, takes us back to a moment that allows us to experience lost feelings all over again.  It takes us to our past and wraps us around to our present.

Those moments we share are not about teasing those around us or keeping secrets. They are about the time we have spent together, our common interests forever linking us across time. 

As cheesy as it may sound, they are a part of our love story.

They are, in a sense, those little awkward puzzle pieces that complete our picture.That is something I always looked forward to in a relationship.

Insides jokes bring a burst of spontaneity and genuineness in a relationship

To be with a person that brings something genuine into my life that did not already exist. When I think about our marriage and our lives, they are certainly not perfect, and there are times when we may laugh far less than what we need to.

However, when that spontaneous inside joke happens, it reminds me of how much we have been through and how much we will go through together.

The post The Joy of an Inside Joke in Relationships appeared first on Marriage.com Blog.



from Marriage.com Blog https://ift.tt/2ExT48I

No comments:

Post a Comment