Friday 9 November 2018

First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage, Then Comes Post Wedding Blues

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes post wedding blues

That isn’t how the awful and outdated song is supposed to end. It ends with ” then comes Sara with a baby carriage.” Right? Wrong. Am I crazy or pathetic? Maybe.

I just married the love of my life and threw one hell of a party. Think southern comfort food, a private concert and all the macrame a bride could dream of.

For me, wedding planning was an intoxicating combo of design, decisions and celebration. It took over a year to plan but the big day went by in a flash.

When our festival-themed bash was over, it hit like a ton of bricks. Bam! The gifts stopped flowing in. No more champagne flutes, wine glasses or gold flatware waiting for me at the front door. Bummer.

It feels like a break-up

The post wedding blues feel like a break-up

Wedding planning became a hobby.

There were always places to be, things to drool over and money to spend. I loved almost every minute of it. I put my heart and soul into this thing. When the lights went down, the dancing was done and the cake was gone, I felt deflated.

For the past year and a half, the world had revolved around me. Then it came to a screeching halt.

People quit asking about the plans leading up to the big day. Now, folks seem to be less interested in our lives. The attention and excitement had faded away.

Even though I was happy to be married, I felt blue to no longer be the bride.

I spare my bridesmaids of this sob story. I sense they are sick of talking to me about anything wedding related. I can’t say that I blame them.

What the heck am I going to plan now?

Our wedding was on a Saturday, we hosted brunch on Sunday but on Monday, I cried the whole way home. I was hungover, the booze well ran dry and the guests had said their goodbyes. It was just my husband and me.

The tears seemed silly. I didn’t lose the love of my life, I just married him! We put on a one-of-a-kind event.

Everyone had a great time. What was I upset about? I did some soul searching and realized I was craving something else to plan. Something else to focus on. I knew I wasn’t ready to design a nursery. Now, we are working on an itinerary for an upcoming trip to Thailand this December.

Getting my shit together

It was critical for me to address the post-wedding blues with a dose of busy. I need some adventure while settling into this new wife life.

I joined a tennis team! I didn’t know any of the players and felt very out of my comfort zone. I also felt proud of myself! My husband and I also try new things together.

We went to the park and rented bikes one day. It was my idea and a bad one.

I fell off that thing. Never getting on a bike again. My husband and I just moved into a new apartment and I am having a blast decorating with all our wedding gifts. This isn’t the end. It is just the beginning. I am looking forward, not backward.

The post First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage, Then Comes Post Wedding Blues appeared first on Marriage.com Blog.



from Marriage.com Blog https://ift.tt/2RIpCRe

No comments:

Post a Comment