Wednesday 23 May 2018

Bf's [25M] parents [60s] desperately tries to convince me [23F] that they're wealthy? Apparently I'm not acting impressed enough and it's bothering them.

So this is a weird situation. Before anyone jumps to blame my bf, I want to point out that he's been on my side this entire time. I'M the one that wants to find a peaceful, friendly solution to this. I know people like to say "you have a bf problem, etc." but he's stood up to his parents multiple times now and I'm the one asking him to stop, because I want to smooth things over and build the relationship more.

Anyways, I've been with bf for 2 years and met his parents for the first time 6 months ago. My own family is fairly well-off, but my parents are very quiet about finances so I don't know any concrete numbers. Well, bf's family is like the exact opposite. They talk about money ALL THE TIME. How much this costs or that costs. They are always remarking about how much someone earns, how much they paid for this thing, how much they could get for something else.

Their home is nice, but quite a bit smaller than my parents. They have lots of nice things though, like luxury cars, expensive electronics, etc. But again, not really things I haven't seen before, but I can recognize when they're nice and I definitely say so. Well, when I visited they kept "hinting" at how much things cost. Like ohhh we just got a new tv omg it cost us almost 7k! Or we just landscaped our garden and it was almost 10k, etc etc you get the point. They like to put a number figure on literally everything and it makes me super uncomfortable because this is not something my family ever talks about.

When I talk about things I do with my family, bf's parents also like to ask about how much things "cost." Like I talked about our vacation to Japan a while back. Cue a ton of questions about where we stayed, how much, did we fly business or economy, did we eat in fancy restaurants or just normal ones? It makes me feel so uncomfortable. Bf tries to shut his parents down every time but I feel bad because I don't think they mean anything bad. Then again, his mom once asked me how much my diamond necklace cost (it was an heirloom, so who knows) and how many I could buy a year based on my current salary. Weird shit like that.

I've talked to my bf about this and he's beyond embarrassed and wants to basically lock his parents in a box until they learn to behave. I eventually get it out of him that they think I'm great, except I'm apparently not "impressed" enough with their things. They think I'm snooty. Again beyond the weird questions and behavior his parents are actually very nice. I don't want to seem snooty, and I don't know how to act more "impressed" of them. I guess I'm not really, but should I just make more of an effort to make a better impression?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tl;dr: Bf's parents are obsessed with finding out how much I earn/my parents earn. They also like to point out the price tags of the things they own and I don't know how to respond. I find out from bf that they think I'm not "impressed" enough and that I'm snooty. I don't want this characterization. What can I do?

submitted by /u/EducationalAnt
[link] [comments]

from Relationships https://ift.tt/2x6ep7v

No comments:

Post a Comment