Wednesday 23 May 2018

I [19F] think my relationship with my best friend [19F] is toxic, but I don't how to end the friendship.

I have been friends with my best friend, let's call her Jo, since we were kids. We are now both at university and I feel like I have outgrown the friendship, but I don't know how to address that. I have also made a lot of other friends over the last few years and begun to realize that Jo's behaviour is somewhat toxic.

Jo's idea of friendship is essentially prioritizing the other person in EVERY aspect of your life, and since we are 'best friends', she essentially thinks I should only be hanging out with her. She hasn't said that in so many words, but she is visibly jealous whenever I run into another friend while her and I are out together, or whenever I even mention my other friends. I have a large social circle, but I am one of Jo's only friends, so I hang out with her in order for her not to feel alone. I've tried introducing her to my friends, but she says she 'hates people' and has no desire to meet new people. If we are at the same place and I chat to someone else instead of her, she will give me the silent treatment until I realize what I've done.

She also criticized me for not hanging out with her as much as I used to. I responded that I don't care about her any less, but we are not in high school together anymore and no longer have the same schedules, so she can't expect us to spend as much time together as before.

Honestly i feel like I am ready to move on from this friendship. Jo is a very negative person and spending time with her leaves me feeling unhappy. I also feel like us being friends is holding her back, because as long as she has me she has no desire to meet new people or try new things. It's at the point of codependency and I don't think that's healthy. At the same time though, I feel bad for wanting to end this friendship because we have been through a lot together.

Does anyone have any advice?

TL;DR: My best friend is negative and controlling but I dont know how to end the friendship.

submitted by /u/SequelMcGee
[link] [comments]

from Relationships https://ift.tt/2LpKVou

No comments:

Post a Comment